Skip to main content

Concept of Karma in short

Just like that, we start with something else one of the journeys ends, and 1 more starts. We only are the passengers freely flowing in the cosmos, we get born, we travel and somewhere our journey ends we don’t exactly know where it begins and ends. We don’t even know if it ends.



According to Bhagwat Gita we take several births and live several lives and deal with such people, the deeds we do, the emotions we create in our fellow passengers is what we call karma. The written note of everything we did, do, or will do. The balance sheet that decides what we deserve and how much

. It has a line where Krishna describes that he and Arjun have had many lives spent together only that parth doesn’t remember them.

Then is the western philosophy of YOLO wherein you only live once and whatever is there that is this life. We live once and die too only once. All the good and bad are summed up only in a lifetime i.e., birth to death.

The Indian philosophy adds these two. It gives us the concept of karma and prabdh. Karma as explained above is the set of all the deeds done over all the number of lifetimes whereas the prabdh is the balance sheet of this life only.

So, when talking about the results and the fruits of the deeds done by a person, we get a mix of both karma and prabdh. This explains the nice guys finished last and how the bad guys get away with so much. Maybe the bad guys did something good in the past lives and vice versa.

Fortunately, we don’t have to deal with all that math. I guess till the time we are alive we have to do good to whoever and wherever we can. This includes the mental part as well. Talking sweet on the face while planning with a cunning attitude is not considered as good karma.

Human are imitating creatures and we need some example or ideal to live by and hence all the tribes and basically, all the human social structure is based on a pack leader, or a king or the alpha male that all the other ones follow.

In Gita, Krishna says this again, “there is nothing in the cosmos that I don’t have or can’t get, I don’t need to work(karma) I am free from all the shackles of karma. Yet I work, I work to set an example for the humanities and to guide and set an ideal to the human potential.” He also says that the masses follow what the leader does and not what he says. Hence action is far superior to words or mere show.

Therefore, when it all boils down we get a message that says to mind your own work and don’t see where and how others are benefiting because we don’t know the factors contributing to their success or the battles they fight.

We should work for the sake of work and try to set an example for others. It’s not only what we do that matters but also the people we work with and the emotions/intentions behind the job.

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Scholar Scoundrel

Over the years of being an average student I always wondered how and what is it that the brilliant students do that sets them apart from the crowd, what magic potion they drink and what notes they make, just like so many of us I've been in the rut of asking the scholars for their notes, much to my chagrin I didn't really see any substantial differences except they were much more organized and diverse than most of the average student's. I saw some of them cramming text books, some referred foreign authors, others were after teachers for...you know why! But still I knew there is something they did differently that made the epiphany. Days past and I forgot about it, everyone does...until the next exam, then again studying late night with my friends I thought "how the hell these scholars do it!!", I mean the time me and my friends are mugging up answers and teaching each other concepts we don't fully understand, bantering over stuff we could have done, and wh...

How to be funny- A character analysis

How to make someone laugh has always been a question for many, what is it that makes people tickle and how can I do it too?! Well here we learn from the greatest of fictional characters that have inspired me to be funny...let's see how they do it. A sense of humor is a gift it helps you blend in with people to understand their emotions and complexities. It's not only a tool to make others laugh but also for yourself. Humor gives you the perspective to view the world in a very unusually unique and that makes the humor game so creative. Funny people always have a way out! Heck! Even smiling can do it, suppose your teacher or wife is scolding you for some reason and you just happen to give them a smile!.. the tension dissolves. Personally having a sense of humor has helped me a lot in life, I've made friends, have better experiences with strangers, got out of troubles, and always had a good! Now, do I have to tell you the benefits of laughter?!? In a very basic sense, it h...

EXAMS

  Exams were invented/discovered to analyse and improve the student function and to improve his ability to face the world. Exams were a tool for the teachers to evaluate the the students understand the blindspots and fill them. In ancient times the students left their homes and lived with their teachers , rishis and yogis would come to their houses and select their pupils and take them to train the as per their requirements. These trainings would consist of reading of vedas and purans, reciting the mantras and others spiritual practices. Focus was to create a well rounded individual who can face the array of difficulties and challenges life throughs at us. Students were also taught to defend themselves, cook, farm and take care of cattle and other domestic animals. Apart from that one teacher only had 2-5 students at his attention. This built a strong connection between the guru and sheeshya, many could call them a team and they were indeed. An example of individual training comes ...