Skip to main content

Everything Compounds

 

Lockdown has been transformational, everyone I know has changed in some dimensions, whether its  fitness or wellness, the habits that have been formed and removed the entire addition and subtraction has been a positive-sum.

Over the past few months I've become more meditative, read books on various topics, been exposed to a different set of minds and was able to create a blog. Overall the the journey has been excellent, the days that I have meditated multiple times a day and those experiences have been blissful .

If someone asked  me what was the biggest lesson\change of the lockdown Id say it was the realization of compound effect.

Compound the effect is when small changes everyday end up in huge sum results that were unexpected when the deed was initiated. You can get a glimpse of it by this eg. Suppose your lazy and want to lose weight , but consistency kills you, you cant stick to the process , you want to progress fast but you the work is too much, well, this can be fixed by setting a rule, lets say you decide and pledge to do 1 push up every day. Now that seems simple, can be done in a second, no warmup no gym equipment, absolutely nothing, now when you actually get down to do a push up naturally you're inclined to do 1 more, gradually in the coming days you add squats, jogging, and skipping to the list as well.

Before you know you're into fitness, the little effort in the job, makes you reluctant to skip it, and the job satisfaction you get makes you feel good, this way you get best of both worlds.

You can apply this to anything possible, any habit you want to add, the routine you want to build. Plus point where it gets easier with the time you can progress at a given art without even knowing it.

Applying the same principle I've decided to to write every day, I want to be known as a good writer, one who can mesmerize the reader and leave them wanting more, I don't have a formal training in writing but I'm sure I’ll get better.

1 reason the compound effect is amazing and my favourite because, the results you get multiply over time, supposedly the return on investment is far superior to the principle, from time, I've realized the effect in action everything I do comes I perspective to it.

I understand how an apple a day keeps the doctor away, or how a junk food a day can help you redeem your health insurance, 1 episode more leads to 7 hours of time wasted/week with a character hangover and irresistible love for the show.

Compound effect is everywhere right from brushing your teeth to practice makes you perfect. This reminds me of a story of Picasso, he was chilling at a park when a lady came upto him and asked him to draw a portrait of her( those days they didn’t have a smartphone ) Picasso picked up a piece of paper and pencil, drew the lady a beautiful painting, merely in 5 mins.

Lady was utterly impressed, but that turned in to shock when Picasso asked for 5000$ for it! She cried “ but you only spent 5 mins to make it!!” to which he replied “ it took me 25 years to make it in 5 mins”!

That’s the magic of compound effect!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Scholar Scoundrel

Over the years of being an average student I always wondered how and what is it that the brilliant students do that sets them apart from the crowd, what magic potion they drink and what notes they make, just like so many of us I've been in the rut of asking the scholars for their notes, much to my chagrin I didn't really see any substantial differences except they were much more organized and diverse than most of the average student's. I saw some of them cramming text books, some referred foreign authors, others were after teachers for...you know why! But still I knew there is something they did differently that made the epiphany. Days past and I forgot about it, everyone does...until the next exam, then again studying late night with my friends I thought "how the hell these scholars do it!!", I mean the time me and my friends are mugging up answers and teaching each other concepts we don't fully understand, bantering over stuff we could have done, and wh...

How to be funny- A character analysis

How to make someone laugh has always been a question for many, what is it that makes people tickle and how can I do it too?! Well here we learn from the greatest of fictional characters that have inspired me to be funny...let's see how they do it. A sense of humor is a gift it helps you blend in with people to understand their emotions and complexities. It's not only a tool to make others laugh but also for yourself. Humor gives you the perspective to view the world in a very unusually unique and that makes the humor game so creative. Funny people always have a way out! Heck! Even smiling can do it, suppose your teacher or wife is scolding you for some reason and you just happen to give them a smile!.. the tension dissolves. Personally having a sense of humor has helped me a lot in life, I've made friends, have better experiences with strangers, got out of troubles, and always had a good! Now, do I have to tell you the benefits of laughter?!? In a very basic sense, it h...

EXAMS

  Exams were invented/discovered to analyse and improve the student function and to improve his ability to face the world. Exams were a tool for the teachers to evaluate the the students understand the blindspots and fill them. In ancient times the students left their homes and lived with their teachers , rishis and yogis would come to their houses and select their pupils and take them to train the as per their requirements. These trainings would consist of reading of vedas and purans, reciting the mantras and others spiritual practices. Focus was to create a well rounded individual who can face the array of difficulties and challenges life throughs at us. Students were also taught to defend themselves, cook, farm and take care of cattle and other domestic animals. Apart from that one teacher only had 2-5 students at his attention. This built a strong connection between the guru and sheeshya, many could call them a team and they were indeed. An example of individual training comes ...